2018 York Chapter
Engineering Project of the Year Award
PEO York Chapter is one of the largest chapters of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), with over 8000 members in York Region and accounting for 10% of PEO's membership! With such a large engineering presence in the community, the Engineering Project of the Year Award acts as York Chapter's platform to build new, or deepen existing, relationships with high-tech companies and related businesses in the region, and ultimately highlight the engineering profession in our community!
The awards are presented each year at the PEO York Chapter Annual General Meeting and Certificate Presentation Ceremony. The awards ceremony for the 2018 competition will be held on February 23, 2019 at a conference centre in York Region; the finalists and runner-ups will be invited to attend the gala. The overall first place winner from each category will also receive the coveted honour of delivering a presentation on their successful project as part of the evening’s address, with the option to present video or other multimedia demonstrations showcasing the organization, the project team and its engineering achievements.
The 2018 Project of the Year Award finalists will be announced on this website.
The objective of this competition is to recognize the contribution, both to the engineering profession and to the local community, by an organization that has undertaken or completed an outstanding project of a technical nature within the past year.
The benefits of participating in this competition are significant for both the Applicants and the engineering profession in York Chapter. These include, but are not limited to:
Competition Description and Deadlines (Top)
Phase I: Abstract Submissions
Phase II: Preliminary Evaluation
Phase III: Preparation of Final Submission
Phase IV: Overall Engineering Project of the Year Award
Evaluation Criteria (Top)
*Note: Applicants will be able to select their company size in the application form. However, PEO York Chapter reserves the right to make changes to the sizing and sizing category. Any change to an applicant's competition category will be communicated within 1 week of the application submission deadline.
Prizes and Honours (Top)
The 1st place winner from each category will be invited give a 10 minute presentation on their winning project at the Awards Gala.
Additionally, each 1st place winner will receive the following prizes and recognitions:
The 1st runner-up in each category will receive the following prizes and recognitions:
All finalists will be invited to display an informative booth at the gala, showcasing their projects and/or other company achievements, and presenting marketing information.
Contestant eligibility is determined based on the candidate business successfully satisfying the following conditions:
Special Promotion for York Chapter Members!(Top)
If you are a PEO York Chapter member then we have a special promotion just for you!Be one of the first 5 York Chapter members who submit an eligible application for this award or refers a project which results in an eligible application, then you will receive a $100 gift card to a restaurant/store of your choice! Just have your name and PEO membership number shown in the referral section of the application form - it's that simple!
Disclaimer: PEO York Chapter's Awards Committee will review each submitted application eligible for this request and will determine the first 5 eligible applications based on the date and time stamps of the received email submissions on the York Chapter email server. Projects submitted for this gift card incentive must meet the eligibility criterion listed in the eligibility section and must have a contribution to the engineering profession and the local community. PEO staff and Chapter executives are not eligible for this incentive. PEO York Chapter’s Awards Committee reserves the right to review and reject incomplete and/or irrelevant applications, limit the number of prizes eligible for an individual, and cancel this incentive at any time without notice.
Q and A
The total number of applicants will not be known prior to the application deadline. All eligible entries will be considered.
Projects selected as finalists may be profiled on the PEO York Chapter website. All finalists will be invited to the awards gala, which is attended by PEO York Chapter members and various dignitaries including PEO council members, OSPE representatives, and local MPs and/or MPPs.
Please review the application form. You will need to disclose enough information to complete the required fields. If selected as a finalist, you will be asked to prepare a presentation with additional detail about your project. Please ensure that any information you provide is internally reviewed and approved for public release. If your project is of a proprietary nature and cannot be described without revealing sensitive information, you may wish not to apply.
There is no application fee. You only need to invest your time for the preparation of the abstract and, if selected, the final presentation.
A product or system demonstration is not a requirement and may not be feasible depending on the nature of the project. However, where appropriate, demonstrations (or prototypes, etc.) are most welcome as part of the final presentation.
- Submission of project details implies express consent to publish any and all information in a public forum. PEO York chapter is not responsible for the safeguarding of information once it has been received. It is suggested that applicant organizations conduct a thorough review of all application materials prior to submission to address any commercial or proprietary issues related to the release of information.
- Contest details and deadlines are subject to change. Modifications to the competition schedule and/or logistics will be posted to this website and/or communicated directly to contest participants.
- The applicant agrees to provide the required information to the PEO York Chapter Awards Committee.
- The applicant hereby authorizes the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) York Chapter Association of its sponsors and partners to use, release and retain the applicant(s) name(s), non-financial information, photographs, video recordings, and audio recordings of the applicant(s) in connection with the promotion, administration or evaluation of this award without any compensation to the applicant.
- The applicant is required to submit the information with the attached application form. Only complete application forms will be considered.
- The Judging Panel may request the applicant to provide further information as necessary.
- The decision of the Judging Panel is final.