2014 York Chapter Engineering Project of the Year Award
The Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) York Chapter Awards Committee has issued a Call for Applications for the third annual Engineering Project of the Year Award.
- Award Details
- Competition Description and Deadlines
- Evaluation Criteria
PEO York Chapter is one of the largest chapters of Professional Engineers Ontario (the licensing body of professional engineers in Ontario). York Chapter accounts for 10% of the PEO membership, with over 8000 members in York Region. This engineering award provides a platform for York Chapter to build new, or deepen existing, relationships with high tech companies and related businesses in the region.
The objective of this competition is to recognize the contribution, both to the engineering profession and to the local community, by an organization that has undertaken or completed an outstanding project of a technical nature within the past year.
The benefits of participating in this competition are significant for both the PEO York Chapter and the Applicants. These include, but are not limited to:
- Connect high tech companies to the engineering community
- Create job opportunities for the more than 8000 members in the region and neighbouring communities
- Attract high tech companies to the expertise that resides in the region
- Positive economic growth resulting from job creation and employment opportunities
- Local businesses have a wide public forum in which to market their technical expertise and showcase their engineering successes
- PEO York Chapter raises awareness of the engineering profession and the chapter activities
Award Details (Top)
The awards are presented each year at the PEO York Chapter Annual General Meeting and Certificate Presentation Gala. The awards ceremony for the 2014 competition will be held on Saturday, February 07, 2015 at the Hilton Toronto/Markham Suites Conference Centre.
Finalists will be invited to attend the gala. The overall first place winner will also receive the coveted honour of delivering the evening’s keynote address – a summary of the successful project, with the option to present video or other multimedia demonstrations showcasing the organization, the project team and its engineering achievements.
The 2014 Project of the Year Award finalists will be announced on this website, complete with a profile of the projects and organizations.
Competition Description and Deadlines (Top)
Phase I: Abstract Submissions
Phase II: Preliminary Evaluation
Finalists will be selected by the Awards Committee and will be announced in January 2015. The selections will be made based on the strength of each application in its ability to satisfy the evaluation criteria detailed below.
Phase III: Preparation of Final Submission
The top 6 finalists will each prepare and deliver a short presentation that illustrates the project highlights. Further details about the nature of the presentation will be communicated when the finalists are announced.
The presentations will be delivered to a panel of judges on January 17 or 24, 2015.
Phase IV: Overall Engineering Project of the Year Award
Based on an evaluation of the detailed presentations, an overall winner will be selected and announced prior to the awards gala.
Evaluation Criteria (Top)
Projects of all types of engineering (discipline) and size (scale and budget) will be considered equally. All project submissions will be judged for their quality within the following four categories, which will be weighted as indicated below:
- Innovation, Technical Merit and Distinction (25%)
- Sustainability (25%)
- Commercial Viability (20%)
- Impact to York Region & Neighbouring Communities (30%)
Prizes and Honours (Top)
The 1st place winner will be invited to present the keynote address at the Awards Gala.
The top 3 winners will each receive the following prizes and recognitions:
- A commemorative plaque or trophy.
- A symbolic monetary prize ($1000 for 1st place; $750 for 2nd place; $500 for 3rd place), with the option to donate the prize money to the PEO York Scholarship Fund, or a registered charity of your choice).
- Complimentary invitations for 4 representatives to attend the gala.
The remaining 3 finalists (from the top 6) will each receive the following recognitions:
- A certificate of recognition.
- Complimentary invitations for 2 representatives to attend the gala.
All finalists will be invited to display an informative booth at the gala, showcasing their projects and/or other company achievements, and presenting marketing information.
Contestant eligibility is determined based on the candidate business successfully satisfying the following conditions:
- Organization has an operational presence in York Region or a neighbouring community
- The project must be overseen by at least one licensed Professional Engineer
- The project must have been initiated and/or completed within 2014
- The project must be at a substantial stage of completion
- Project details submitted must include only publicly available information1
- Projects that received 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place honours in the previous competition are not eligible for resubmission.
- Projects that were not selected as finalists in the previous competition are eligible for submission, provided all of the above eligibility criteria are met.
Questions and answers that may be beneficial to all applicants will be published to this website.
Q and A
- Submission of project details implies express consent to publish any and all information in a public forum. PEO York chapter is not responsible for the safeguarding of information once it has been received. It is suggested that applicant organizations conduct a thorough review of all application materials prior to submission to address any commercial or proprietary issues related to the release of information.
- Contest details and deadlines are subject to change. Modifications to the competition schedule and/or logistics will be posted to this website and/or communicated directly to contest participants.
- The applicant agrees to provide the required information to the PEO York Chapter Awards Committee.
- The applicant hereby authorizes the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) York Chapter Association of its sponsors and partners to use, release and retain the applicant(s) name(s), non-financial information, photographs, video recordings, and audio recordings of the applicant(s) in connection with the promotion, administration or evaluation of this award without any compensation to the applicant.
- The applicant is required to submit the information with the attached application form. Only complete application forms will be considered.
- The Judging Panel may request the applicant to provide further information as necessary.
- The decision of the Judging Panel is final.