National Engineering Month - Design Challenge 2018
Location: Sir William Mulock SS, 705 Columbus Way, Newmarket, Ontario, L3X 2M7
Date: Thursday, March 22
Time: 4pm (Pizza dinner is provided)
Apply science and technology for fun and prizes!
The Professional Engineers Ontario - York Chapter Education Committee is organizing an Engineering Design Challenge for grades 7 and 8 students in York Region.
The Design Challenge: Musical lnstrument
Background vector created by Brgfx - Freepik.com
Each team in grade 7-8 will create a string instrument (and an optional wind instrument if time permitted) that can play a short tune. Students will explore the physics behind sound and vibration to tune their instruments. Experienced musicians will judge the quality of the instrument. The design requirements limitations and materials will be provided at the start of the challenge.
Each team will be evaluated on three categories:
1. Ability to solve problem, working in team and communicate ideas
2. Qualitative evaluation of the instrument
3. Quantitative evaluation of the instrument
Students will plan, build and test their designs on Thursday, March 22nd, 2018 at Sir William Mulock Secondary School using materials provided by York Chapter Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- 4 students per team.
- 1 teacher/adult representative per team (not contributing to the design process).
- Registration is limited to a maximum of 20 teams from schools within York Region.
To maximize the number of participating schools, we limit registration to 1 team per school and place the additional teams on a waiting list.
- Prizes for the top three teams.
- Each student will receive a National Engineering Month T-shirt and a certificate of participation.
- Entry fee is $80 per team and is payable on-line during registration. PEO is a non-profit organization and all proceeds go towards the students and the event.
- Please read the consent form before registration. By registering for the Design Challenge, you agree to the terms of the consent form.
- Register between February 28th and March 19th at: http://peoyork2018nemdesign.eventbrite.com